Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 26, 2017

5 exercise tips to improve lymphatic efficiency

As I prepare for a house guest by deep cleaning my bathroom, I re-read the instructions on the tile cleaner and kept getting stuck on one line, ‘use in a well-ventilated area’. I figured it was because of fumes. I opened the door all the way and turned on the overhead fan.

After giving that time to set and wiping down the walls, there was still stubborn mildew left in between the tiles and I realized I’d have to scrub. During the scrubbing insanity, I recalled my MLD/CDP (Manual Lymphatic Drainage/ Complex Decongestive Physiotherapy) studies and trainings about treatment of the lymphatic system. I was (and am) so thankful to have learned about the body’s system that’s responsible for filtering out toxins. After this week, I was sure mine would be working overtime.

Between the traffic exhaust fumes I was exposed to earlier this week with my car windows rolled down to enjoy the spring-like weather and the current house cleaning I was doing now, my body had been infused with more environmental and chemical toxins this past week than in the past month. I really appreciate that my body even has a lymphatic system; genius!!

In particular, I recalled Carmen Thompson (my lymphatic educator) discussing exercises to help improve lymphatic efficiency. Since the lymphatic system doesn’t have a dedicated pump, (like how the circulatory system has the heart as a pump) it relies on body movement to help its circulation. So yes, while any movement is helpful for lymphatics, especially when it causes you to sweat, there are certain exercises that better encourage the movement of lymph.

1. Any water based movement:

This is the most helpful exercise for lymphatic movement. Water offers external hydrostatic pressure, which assists in lymph movement. Just moving against the pressure of the water (be it moving a limb through water, wading, water walking in the deep end, water aerobics or swimming) will encourage fluid movement. When you get lymph to move, that stimulates the cleansing/purification actions to start as well as stimulating the manufacturing of the "good stuff", the white blood cells to support immunity. Best results happen with active movements, but passive ones are helpful too.

2. Any trampoline or rebounder

This also creates less joint impact than hitting the ground and It’s the second most helpful exercise for your lymphatic system. The jostling motion of this or any vibration moves fluid into lymph vessels. It’s my personal go-to, as I don’t have easy pool access, and enjoy adding rebounding to my workout at least 1-3xs per week.

3. Any movement that targets the deep abdominals

There are roughly 6-700 lymph nodes in the body and about 300 are peppered throughout the gut and trunk. Exercises that engage the hip flexors like squats, lunges, or knee raises are also helpful in moving lymph.

4. Any movement that emphases twisting the trunk

This will also impact the 300 lymph nodes in the trunk. Certain Yoga poses and golf swings (not to mention the walking involved with 9 or 18 holes) will require trunk twist. For a fun neuromuscular challenge, at the driving range try playing from your non-dominant side as well, talk about humbling and building neuropathways!

5. Deep breathing

Deep breathing is good for so many functions. It helps to pacify the nervous system in general, but also specifically the Vagus Nerve, which serves for much of the gut-brain communication. The gut is often called the second brain, as it has its own neural network of about 100k neurons, and sometimes informs the brain of hormones it's decided to release and sometimes receives orders from the brain. The act of deep breathing also increases the internal pressure on the 300 lymph nodes spread throughout the trunk and it’s the first step I take in an MLD session.


I hope sharing what I learned from my training is helpful to you, especially if trying to boost the efficiency of your lymphatic system.  Stay well,

Joe
http://myelitemt.com
CLT, PNMT, OMT, John F Barnes MFR practitioner

No comments:

Post a Comment